Friday, May 20, 2011

Chapter Camp


If there was ever a week in my life that I heard and saw God speak to my fellow peers and me, it was all of last week. For people that don’t know what chapter camp is, it's a camp for college students who are affiliated with the organization Intervarsity Christian Fellowship. Students from Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and other places across the southeast experience a week full of growth with Jesus in the north Georgia mountains.  There were multiple tracks of study, like Small Group Leaders, Old Testament, The Call, Kingdom Life, and Leadership. These tracks lead students into a deeper understanding of the subjects. God filled the hearts and souls of all who attended. Many students raved about their experiences at Chapter Camp. For example:

Ryan Baker (University Of Tampa)  "Chapter Camp allowed me to separate myself from all the things that aren't God in my life for five whole days, which was time much needed after the end to a long semester. In small group leaders track I learned how to effectively bring students on my campus to Christ, and by the end I felt much more prepared to lead a small group."

Michele Ashby (University Of South Florida) "It did so much! I learned how to truly be a leader for Christ, how to die to my flesh and live for Christ. Probably biggest lesson was to walk by faith and not by sight, and just put my trust in him, so he will lead me and not let me down."

Maureen (University Of Tampa) "It was great. I did The Old Testament track. It showed God's true character and I got to see why God punished the Israelites and destroyed the neighboring countries. He punishes sin because he is just. We learn that the sacrifices the Israelites did for cleansing themselves of sin was to prepare the way for Christ to take all our sins once and for all. God loves us even when we are unfaithful to him. We had our very own Passover and learned that it had a purpose. We learned that without the Old Testament we wouldn't have the New Testament. The track let me see God in a new way and how I grow closer to him."

Hannah Holmes (University Of Tampa) "Chapter camp was amazing. The Leadership track was a great reminder that leading in the kingdom is about giving your whole life to serving Jesus and engaging in his mission. I was convicted in several areas about ways that I am still so selfish in my life. Chapter Camp encouraged me to give my whole life away while reminding me of just how weak and helpless I am without Jesus and his cross. My identity as a leader is in him."

The trip was full of stories and amazing memories that will last in the students’ minds forever. Jesus displayed his glory in an incredible way and showed himself visually to one of our students, while others had visions and dreams. Walking away from a week of such experiences revived my awe, passion, and determination to know him more.

Chapter Camp has forever altered our lives and equipped us to go and share the goodness of Jesus to other students on our campuses. If you didn't attend and you have the opportunity next year, make sure you take advantage of it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment